Thread: Mazda New engine

Default Mazda New engine

I have a mazda cx7 almost 4 years old, 52,000 miles . It stopped last week and I need a new engine.
    mazda quoted 9,000 pounds but at Mazda dealers they will reduce this by 50% if the findings are correct after stripping the engine. It would have been 60% if I had been the only owner???I bought it from a Mazda dealer 1 year old....
    does this sound fair ???

Hello,

On the face of things it seems unfortunate but fair though with the engine and labour costing that sort of money it is worth arguing and questioning every aspect and sticking out for every penny you can.

At almost four years old it is probably the diesel model. These days most petrol engines will comfortably see well past the hundred thousand mark and with good servicing a diesel should be able to easily double that as the management system will always ensure the revs are kept to a safe level; unless some idiot changes down too early or gets it in the wrong gear when changing down that is...
    For any engine to fail at that sort of age and mileage it indicates an inherent fault or serious sustained abuse or neglect.

I don't know what the warranty is on Mazda or what the small print says so I suggest you find out why the dealer is saying what they are saying; I doubt they make such things up as they go along so the right to charge a subsequent owner more than the original owner is probably set out in print somewhere. Try reading the warranty section of the vehicle literature pack.

If the servicing hasn't been kept up to scratch I expect they will have the right to make you pay more or even the whole bill...

Try doing some research about the reliability of your Mazda engine. It might have a design fault or something that shortens the life of the engine and means Mazda should pay much more.

The Mazda dealer workshop is stripping the engine and will tell you its findings in due course. I strongly suggest you don't just want to know the findings, you want to see them and have them explained to you along with the probable cause and you want somebody along who will understand what is being said.

It seems strange they say it needs a new engine before they have stripped the existing engine. I wonder if they really are going to strip it. Perhaps it is simply company policy to fit only new engines and they gave you sales talk.

Certainly if an engine fails in the first year or perhaps two it usually means an automatic new engine but at four years old and 52000 miles it hardly warrants a new engine without first completely dismantling the old one and exploring any other options.
    From your point of view a new engine would be great but the four-and-a-half grand is much less great.

Making the assumption the majority of engine components have hardly done enough work to remove the original machining marks and the fuel system will still be in top condition it might be worth exploring the possibility of an engine repair with either new or pattern parts.

Other options include a conditioned replacement engine or short engine, a reconditioned replacement engine or short engine or a secondhand engine if a suitable insurance write-off can be found or a low-mileage used Japanese imported engine.

Depending what is found to be at fault with your old engine one of the options could offer you a more cost-effective way of getting back on the road. There could be warranty disadvantages but in my opinion the dealer won't be doing their job properly if they don't discuss those options with you.
    An engine repair using genuine Mazda parts could cost less and not affect the warranty.

I hope you find this useful. I hope you will come back and tell us what the dealer found.
    Good luck!

Thank you for taking the time to post such a comprehensive reply. I will do all that you say and let you know how we get on.

I would be livid if such a relatively new car required an entire new engine. What about a second opinion? I agree with Verne that you may be able to just have some parts replaced, depending on what is wrong.

Default Mazda New engine

Current Mazda Spark Plugs can already lasts 80,000Km,the new Engine,most likely lasts Life of the Car......the Spark Plugs will only needed if outside Temp near Freezing,Spore outside Temp never dropped below 20c...

Thread Information